The Alberta Chapter of The Wildlife Society works for wildlife and works with wildlife. We are biologists, managers, scientists, academics, students, consultants, and naturalists from across Alberta dedicated to understanding and conserving Alberta’s wildlife. We are affiliated with the international organization The Wildlife Society and its Canadian Section.
- We talk wildlife. People care about things they know about. As wildlife professionals, we share our love and understanding of Alberta’s wildlife and wild places through public talks, social media, newsletters, and especially our acclaimed annual conferences, where new ideas for conserving Alberta’s wildlife are born. Everyone is welcome!
- We walk the talk. We advocate for science-based wildlife management in Alberta, and provide science-based information and advice to help ensure wildlife’s needs are met in public policy, legislation and programs. We work to provide a wildlife management perspective to local, regional, and provincial decision-making bodies. We offer information, advice, and champion policy that ensures wildlife populations persist as a benefit for all Alberta.
- We cultivate new biologists. New professionals carry forward the responsibilities to manage the future of Alberta’s wildlife. We provide mentorship and training support, and host conferences that pass on new information. We provide student scholarships, conference travel grants, and awards for outstanding wildlife work. For over 25 years we have provided tens of thousands of dollars in support; and are rewarded by knowing today’s ACTWS students are tomorrow’s Alberta wildlife professionals.
You can help us help Alberta wildlife. We are a fully volunteer organization; every dollar you donate goes directly to student scholarships and wildlife conservation activities. Please support us and help another biologist understand and care for Alberta’s wild animals and wild places. There are also opportunities to get involved in ACTWS; please contact our president to find out how you can be involved!
- Lisa Wilkinson | Information, Education, and Newsletters
- Robin Gutsell | Membership
- John Paczkowski | Awards
- Brian Kopach | Scholarships
- Andrea McGregor | Nominations